My mom: ”I see you put the wall letters up. I guess y’all are set on using that name?”
Me: ”Yes we are. I know that you aren’t fond of it. Why?”
My mom: ”It’s just not a name that I thought you would pick out. It sounds more like Tarzan than you.”
Me: ”I actually am the one that picked it out and Tarzan liked it too.”
My mom: ”Oh.”
Good grief, mom. It’s not like we picked out a really bizarre name. In fact, it’s in the top 100 boy’s names, but I’ve never met anyone with the name before.
Her favs are Mason and Ethan. No offense to anyone who has used either of these names, but they are not my style at all. I’m just not a fan.
This, my friends, is the exact reason that we were keeping it a secret.
It’s not like her opinion (or anyone’s for that matter) will change my mind, but still… You just don’t want to hear anything “negative” when it comes to the name chosen. If we would have waited until he was born, no one would have said anything about the name. They’d be way more excited to hold him and love him.
Guess we learned our lesson and will definitely keep the next baby‘s name a secret. If it’s a girl then, we have a name picked out and it is unusual. Pretty, but unusual and I just know that we will get some funny looks.
You might also want to read:
- Good news from this pregnant couple, I *think* our baby boy has a name!
- 34 weeks pregnant: We took our first baby-related class
- 26 weeks pregnant: Ready or not only 98 days left until we meet our baby boy
- The BIG question pregnant parents ask each other 1,273 times… at least
- 36 weeks pregnant: Baby clothes, do I have enough?