I am a woman of my word, I’ll have you know. At 38 weeks pregnant, I kept the promise to my husband and we packed the hospital bag for labor and delivery. It wasn’t bad at all, but not that I thought it would be either. It’s just the final thing to check off of our “to do before baby comes” list.
Prior to packing the hospital bag we also installed the car seat this morning. Talk about weird.
Well, I should clarify…
It’s not actually weird that we installed the car seat, but rather driving around today with a car seat in the back of the car without a baby in it was weird.
It’s just getting so real now. So real. And I’m actually really okay and excited about that. I do find myself thinking in my head and out loud to Tarzan that “xyz” may just be the final time we do it while we are not parents. So strange.
The other night I thought “wow, this is the last fancy dinner and opera we will see all dressed up before we will have to worry about having a babysitter”. Today I told Tarzan (before we had sex), “this might be the final time we have sex without having a baby”. It’s just pretty crazy to think about since it’s been the two of us (well three if you count our dog).
I wasn’t trying to have resistance to packing the hospital bag, but it’s just the final thing to do before little baby T. arrives in the world. However, I put on my big girl panties today and gave into my husband and we completed the packing.
Yes, it’s true: We have our bags completely packed, sitting in our bedroom just waiting to be picked up and put into action at the hospital. Now it’s time to sit back and wait… and wait and wait and maybe even more waiting.
Since I am a lover of making lists, here’s the goods that I’m bringing to the hospital:
3. Make up
4. Lounge pants & tank
5. Blow dryer (Like the make up, it’s just in case. I don’t actually know that I’ll use it or even care about it.)
7. Two gowns
8. Cell phone
9. Cell phone charger
10. Hot Mama Gown for labor and delivery
11. Newborn outfit and 0-3 outfit
12. Car seat
13. Socks for baby
14. Video camera
15. Video camera charger
17. Camera charger
18. Baby Book
19. Socks for me
20. Flip flops for shower
21. Nursing bra
23. Dress to wear home
24. Nursing pads
25. Change for vending machine for Tarzan
26. Gum & other snacks
28. Handheld massager
29. Receiving blanket
30. Boppy pillow for nursing
31. Book to read
32. Unopened bottle of Ibuprofen
33. Unopened bottle of stool softeners
34. Rubber bands for my hair
35. Hospital receipts we’ve already paid
36. Flip flops to wear with regular clothes
38. Laptop charger
You might also want to read:
- 39 weeks pregnant: Aerosmith concert vs. labor and delivery
- 36 weeks pregnant: Checking things off of my “to get done before baby comes” list
- Pregnancy Labor and Delivery: Pictures, the hospital stories, the nurse, and everything you wanted to know!
- 38 weeks pregnant: OB pregnancy appointment, date night, & my labor dream
- No worries about additional baby costs during labor and delivery, pills are included!